What is Meningitis?
Meningitis is a disease caused by the inflammation of the protective membranes covering the brain and spinal cord known as the meninges. The inflammation is usually caused by an infection of the fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord. Meningitis may develop in response to a number of causes, usually bacteria or viruses, but meningitis can also be caused by physical injury, cancer or certain drugs.The severity of illness and the treatment for meningitis differ depending on the cause. Thus, it is important to know the specific cause of meningitis.
What are the Types of Meningitis?
There are five types of Meningitis and each one can be caused by something different and have usually similar symptoms:
Symptoms of all types of Meningitis:
- High Fever
- Increased Sensitivity to light
- Altered mental status
- Sleepiness or trouble waking up
- Lack of Appetite
How Can I Prevent Meningitis?
Shingles will affect your body in multiple ways. The main symptoms you should look for if you think you are experiencing shingles are:
- Wash your hands thoroughly and often
- Disinfect frequently touched surfaces
- Avoid kissing or sharing cups or eating utensils with sick people
- Make sure you are vaccinated
- Avoid bites from mosquitoes and other insects
- Control mice and rats
If experiencing any of these symptoms, see your doctor immediately for emergency care.